Criminal Proceedings: Foreigners’ Rights And Obligations
May 28, 2019 Events
When one hears the term “criminal”, most people think of something very serious. In fact, in Vietnam it most certainly is. Different from commercial, civil or administrative proceedings that can be solved with money, criminal proceedings can involve a progression of steps beginning with an arrest and escalating to imprisionment. Further, you have no right to avoid participating in a criminal proceeding and you should be aware that the Government will enforce the “Rights and Obligations” in a very strict manner.
If you are a foreigner living and working in Vietnam and are not familiar with the criminal procedure of the host country, it may lead to significant difficulties in protecting your legal rights and interests. This seminar will provide a vital in-depth analysis and summarization of the “Rights and Obligations of Foreigners in Criminal Proceedings”, and aims to provide specific guidance in real-life situations that foreigners may face when becoming a participant in a criminal case in Vietnam.
Please download our presentation file for your understanding on:
· Scope and application of the Criminal Procedures Code as it applies to foreigners;
· Eligibility to join the proceedings;
· Authorization in criminal proceedings (legal representation);
· Rights and obligations of foreigners in the pre-trial period (should the case appear to have criminal implications);
· Foreigners’ rights and obligations in the procedural stages (criminal cases);
· Preventive and other enforcement measures taken by the Government to enforce the Criminal Procedures Code (penalties); and
· Real-life situations that foreigners often encounter in the criminal proceedings and potential solutions.
– Written by LE & TRAN | Vietnam’s Premier Business Litigation Firm
Below are some pictures taken at the event: